Saturday, May 21, 2011

Character Designs for the Final Animation

For my final animation, I decided that it would be a whiteboard animation about a little fox who lived under a tree.  The tree would change through the 4 seasons throughout the animation.  For this I needed just two characters: The fox, and a child who appears briefly when it is winter.  I a few different ways foxes have been pictured in films:


The Fox and the Hound (Disney)

The fox character in "The fox and the Hound" is very simple and used block colours.  The facial expressions are very humanised and give the look of a typical cartoon.





 Pablo the Little Red Fox (children's TV show)


The character designs for Pablo the Little Red Fox are incredibly simple and little detail.  Very few colours are used and the expressions are very simplified.  I think this type of character design would be a good option for an animation using a whiteboard because of the limited space I can draw in.



Fantastic Mr. Fox

The characters in "Fantastic Mr. Fox" are models so i wouldn't really be able to use them for a white-board animation but I thought the designs are interesting and it was a good example of an animation using foxes.  All the characters in the film are very humanised ans are given very human-like qualities.




My Own Designs

I then decided to draw some more styles of foxes that could potentially be used in my final animation:

Manga

Here is an example of a fox drawn in a Manga style.  The manga style often uses big heads, big eyes and exaggerated expressions.  I drew this fox on paper and then scanned it into the computer to colour it in on DrawPlus.  

Line-Sketch
This type of design is more detailed than the Manga style but isn't detailed enough to be a realistic line-drawing.  I drew it from the help of a few photographs I found.  After drawing this, I decided that this style couldn't really be used in my whiteboard animation because it took quite a while to draw.

Line Drawing
This is a very, very simplified line drawing of a fox.  I think this type of drawing would work best with the whiteboard animation because it is easy to change and doesn't take too long to draw and modify.

No comments:

Post a Comment